You may be scheduled for a drug test for many reasons. However, some of the most popular reasons include:
- Job interviews
- Legal issues
- Sports testing
Let’s face the fact – nobody enjoys the reputation that a negative drug test result comes with. So it’s not strange to occasionally see people searching for how to pass a drug test. However, since there are different drug testing methods (saliva, urine, blood, and hair follicle test), it can be difficult to know which you’ll face on the test day. Knowing about all the drug test methods and what they entail can save you the stress and embarrassment that comes with failing a drug test. Here’s an article that covers the different drug testing methods and what you can do to scale through each. Let’s go!
Understanding Drug Tests
To be clear, a drug test is a type of test that uses biological samples to detect whether there are drugs in your system. Irrespective of the techniques being used, drug tests typically have one goal, which is to check for drugs in your body system.
Apart from sports events, the workplace is another common venue for drug tests. Some of the workplace scenarios where an employer may require a blood test include:
- During employment exercises
- When an employer suspects drug use based on signs and symptoms displayed around the environment
- After a workplace accident
- While undergoing treatment for alcohol or substance use disorder
Beyond knowing these scenarios, another question people often ask is “How long does weed stay in your system?” The answer to this question depends on the type of drugs you’ve consumed and the test you’re using to detect it.
Types of Drug Tests
When broadly categorized, there are different types of drug tests. However, most of these categorizations are based on criteria like biological samples required, the substance you’re testing for, etc. For this list, we’ll focus our categorization on the required samples for the test.
- Urine tests: this type of test is popular around the world. It typically involves testing urine samples to ascertain whether there’s a drug or not in the system. Some of the most popular substances that this test can discover include cocaine, marijuana, alcohol, opioids, and amphetamines.
- Hair follicle test: The second most popular type of drug test tests hair samples for drugs. It is especially effective for detecting long-term drug use since wiping drug traces away from your hair takes a long while. Many factors can influence how long drugs stay in the hair, so the detection period can date back to the last 12 months. Hair tests are effective for detecting most of the popular drugs out there. So better be careful if you’re billed for this test.
- Saliva test: Although very convenient, this type of test is still not as popular as the urine test. It involves examining your saliva and other mouth fluids to detect drug usage. It is also called an oral drug test, mouth swab test, or cotton swab test.
- Blood test: Although less popular than others mentioned, this type of drug test detects drug usage when a person cannot provide the other samples listed in this article. It is mostly used by health professionals in health emergencies and can detect precise levels of alcohol and drugs in the body. However, it only works for detecting these substances within minutes or hours of consumption.
How Important is Preparation?
The essence of this article is to emphasize preparation. We understand your fear and that’s why we’ve provided every information needed to help you prepare better. One of the first steps of preparation is to understand the purpose of your drug test. Some popular reasons for drug tests include:
- Employment. Most employers would screen for drug usage before hiring a new employee. Even after employment, you may still face occasional examinations for on-the-job drug use.
- Sports. Athletes are typically subjected to drug tests to check for performance-enhancement drugs in their system. These tests could either be before or after an event.
- Drug treatment. The case of drug testing also comes up when monitoring progress during drug use treatments. A doctor may occasionally administer drug tests to know your level of addiction.
- Legal evidence. Drug test results can also be evidence when arguing for or against a drug-related case.
- Monitoring the use of prescription drugs. Some prescription drugs are pretty addictive. To control your intake of such drugs, your provider may schedule occasional drug tests to know your addiction level.
Consequences of Failing a Drug Test
As expected, failing a drug test is one of the worst things you’ll want to happen to you, especially if the test is related to your employment. Here, look at some of the consequences of failing a drug test.
- Can cause you to lose a job position
- It may lead to early termination of your employment contract
- Can cause your eviction from a sports team
- Can cause your eviction from a sober living club
- It can lead to imprisonment
- Temporary or permanent loss of benefits
- Suspension from school
Nobody wants to go through any of these consequences. Therefore, we typically advise people to quit marijuana. But if you can’t, or if you’re not sure of the timeline since you last smoked, you’d need to prepare better for your test. Fortunately, there are available solutions out there that can help and we’ll see some of them as this article about how to pass a drug test with weed in your system unfolds.
Methodologies for Different Drug Tests
In this section, we’ll mirror our focus on explaining the different types of drug tests. We’ll also suggest the best way to pass a drug test after explaining each type.
Passing a Urine Test
As we’ve pointed out before, this type of test is pretty popular. However, that doesn’t mean it is the most effective on the list. This popularity is largely due to its low cost and simplicity. A Urine drug test shows drug usage for a few days, so it’s not suitable for detecting long-term usage.
The following table shows various drugs and their detection periods using this method.
|Drug Name||Detection Time in Urine|
How to Prepare For a Urine Drug Test
Some of the questions that may pop up in your head while waiting for your urine test date include the following:
- How long does it take to pass a drug test?
- How effective is a urine drug test?
Whatever the situation, passing a urine drug test requires preparation. Fortunately, many options are available to help you prepare better for a urine test. Let’s review some of them.
THC Detox Methods
One of the most effective methods to prepare yourself for a urine test is through detoxification. THC detox can help you remove THC metabolites very quickly and effectively from your body, allowing you to confidently pass a drug test. There are many THC detox options out there; you just have to choose one that suits your body and the test you’re going for. Some of the popular THC detox options include:
- THC detox drinks: are a convenient and effective option for removing THC metabolites from your body before a test. It typically involves drinking a substance that will help detoxify you. Although there are many THC detox drinks out there, we recommend Detoxify Mega Clean as one of the most reliable options. This detox drink made by Detoxify is a full 32-fluid-ounce detox drink with a high potency. Its natural ingredients have been proven to help the detoxification process without causing any harm.
- Detox Pills: Detox pills offer a more comprehensive detox option to target THC traces in different parts of the body. Again, there are many available options as far as detox pills are concerned, but we typically recommend Toxin Rid pills as a flexible option that matches different THC exposure because of the variety of programs it offers for different levels of exposure.
- Synthetic Urine: Because of the urgency of most drug tests, you may have enough time to prepare yourself for a drug test. So, beyond knowing how to pass a urine drug test naturally, you also want to know other alternatives. One such alternative is synthetic Urine – a substance designed to imitate real urine. It is also known as fake, laboratory, or artificial urine. It comes in powdered or liquid form and can be sneaked into the lab and submitted as a urine sample for a drug test. The two most popular options in this category are:
- TestClear Powdered Human Urine
- Quick Fix Synthetic Urine
Although less reliable, several available home remedies can help you prepare for a urine drug test. The most effective home remedy is to completely stay away from drugs months before your test. Other home remedies include:
- Drinking lots of water days before the test
- Taking over-the-counter drugs
- Prescription drugs like B-complex color your urine
- Herbal remedies
Passing a Hair Follicle Test
Otherwise known as a hair substance test or hair testing, this test is used to determine the presence of drugs in a person’s body by examining the hair. The hair follicle test is growing in popularity because of its reliability. It is often considered the most accurate and reliable drug screening method because of its very long detection window. Many employers and legal workers prefer this screening method because of its timeframe. Additionally, the procedure is also less invasive than most other screening methods. It can usually detect the presence of metabolites even after 90 days of using the drug.
However, while reviewing answers to how to pass a hair follicle drug test, one of the most important things is the long detection period of this method. Therefore, we recommend complete abstinence from drugs for at least 90 days before your test. This drug testing method is typically used to detect the presence of drugs like marijuana, cocaine, opiates, and amphetamines (including meth, ecstasy, and Molly).
How to Prepare For a Hair Follicle Test?
Now that we’ve answered the question “How long do drugs stay in hair,” you’re probably wondering how to prepare for this kind of test. The efficacy of this type of test means you can hardly cheat in it. So, your best bet is to stay away from drugs for at least 90 days before the test. Another reliable option is to clean your hair with a special shampoo designed for this purpose. Fortunately, so many shampoos and rinses are marketed today for passing hair follicle tests. The most reliable of these shampoos include:
Old Style Aloe Toxin Rid
This option is the oldest known shampoo for cleansing drugs and the most reliable. The product contains various elements that eliminate all marijuana components from the hair. The presence of aloe vera extracts also helps moisturize your hair and provide protection while cleansing. Here are the pros and cons of the Old Style Toxin Rid Shampoo:
- It is safe and easy to use
- Moisturizes the hair while cleansing it of drugs
- It’s not as expensive as many other options
- It may not be very effective for frequent users
- Some customers complain that it affects their scalp after frequent usage
Zydot Ultra Clean Shampoo
Here’s a great option for preparing your hair for a drug test. However, this one is a more comprehensive detox solution since it contains shampoo, purifier, and conditioner. So it doesn’t just remove external barriers; it goes in-depth to dissolve and remove impurities deep inside the scalp.
- It is a complete package that contains a shampoo and purifier
- Easy to use
- It conditions the hair to control tangles and similar issues
- One of the safety options available
- It’s not exactly an ideal option for people with dyed hair
The Macujo Method
The Macujo method is a popular hair detox routine that has remained popular since the early 2000s. It involves using powerful chemicals to break down the hair cuticles so that you can get rid of drug metabolites. The efficacy of this method heavily relies on the ingredients used, so most people will prefer to use the best ingredients. So you would need the following:
- Heinz vinegar
- Clean and Clear deep cleansing solution
- Reliable detox shampoo
- Tide laundry detergent
- Rubber hand gloves
- Shower cap
Passing a Saliva Test
Also known as a mouth swab drug test, this testing method uses your saliva to detect the presence of certain substances in your system. While urine, hair, and blood tests require invasive needles and complicated methods, this is easily completable with a quick swab. It is an ideal testing method for workers receiving occasional drug tests. Its simplicity means that results can be ready within minutes. While it’s the simplest and most convenient method, the saliva test method doesn’t test for all drugs. Some of the drugs it tests for include cocaine, opiates, marijuana, amphetamine, and even alcohol.
Mouth Swab Drug Test Weed Timeline
|Drugs||Detection Time in the Saliva|
|THC||Up to 24 hours|
How to Prepare For a Saliva Test?
Every day, we hear people ask genuine questions about saliva tests. But truly, how do you pass a mouth swab drug test? It’s simple – don’t smoke at all or abstain for a few weeks. This ensures your system has enough time to eliminate the drugs from your saliva before the test date. However, if you can’t abstain, there are other ways to pass a drug test with home remedies.
One such remedy when looking for how to pass a saliva drug test is Toxin Rid Rescue Wash Mouthwash to clean your mouth before the test. This small one-fluid-ounce container of liquid mouthwash contains a highly effective chemical that neutralizes the saliva and rids it of toxins. It also coats the mouth and neutralizes it for up to 30 minutes after use. The most fascinating feature of this mouthwash is its ease of usage. It also works immediately, so you can just rinse your mouth before stepping in for your test.
Passing a Blood Test
Although a highly accurate drug testing method, blood tests are rarely done because of the technicalities involved. Unless you’re a safety official or it’s for a medical emergency, you may never need to face this kind of test. However, if you need to face one, you should know that drugs don’t stay long in the blood. Most drugs will be flushed out of the system within one or two days of taking them unless you’re a heavy user. That said, here’s a table that shows drug detection times in the blood.
|Drug Name||Detection Time in the Blood|
How to Prepare For a Blood Test?
As usual, the best way to pass this test is to stay away from drugs for a few days before your drug test. However, if you’re stuck and need to clean yourself of drugs before the drug test, you can always use the same products that work for urine drug tests. The only difference between both types of tests is the timeframe involved. The urine drug detox drinks and pills reviewed in this article will work perfectly for detoxifying your blood for a drug test.
Some other considerations for people facing a blood drug test include:
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar and baking soda
While these options are highly recommended, they are not surefire since blood tests are typically detailed and hard to cheat on.
Debunking Common Myths About Drug Tests
Before going for a drug test, it’s important to note that the purpose of a drug test is not to criminalize employees or to show distrust. Instead, drug tests are designed to create and maintain a safe work environment. Over time, we’ve seen people develop different myths about drug tests. Some of the popular myths include.
- Myth 1: Secondhand smoke can cause your drug test to come back positive
False: staying around people who smoke regularly typically means breathing in the surrounding smoke. However, irrespective of how much you breathe it in, it is still unlikely that you’ll inhale enough to trigger a positive result unless you’re trying to get high.
- Myth 2: The consumption of poppy seeds can make you fail a drug test
False: While poppy seeds are known to be derived from the opium poppy, it’s still highly doubtful that you’ll eat enough to be detected on a drug test. Poppy seeds don’t cause any effect and, as such, don’t trigger a positive drug test if consumed in reasonable quantities.
- Myth 3: Medications like Aspirin can cause a positive drug test
True: Drug tests are designed to detect various substances, including some over-the-counter medications like Aspirin. However, if you’re legitimately taking such drugs, there’s no cause for alarm since you can simply furnish your prescription to the panel to show you’re taking it as directed by a doctor.
- Myth 4: Drinking bleach can help you pass a drug test
True: It’s true that bleach can help you pass a drug test. However, this is a dangerous and potentially deadly myth since bleach is highly toxic and can cause serious respiratory problems.
Frequently Asked Questions About Drug Tests
- Does fake pee work at Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp?
Some of the most high-quality synthetic urine has a higher chance of passing urine tests anywhere. If you’re buying synthetic urine, please ensure you’re buying a reputable product from a reputable brand for peace of mind.
- How accurate are home drug tests?
We understand the temptation to take home drug tests. In fact, they are often considered as an alternative to visiting a lab for your test. However, that doesn’t make it accurate. Mistakes can happen, and that’s why we often recommend going to the lab for your test.
- Can your drug test ever go wrong?
Absolutely! We’ve seen many people complain about wrong test results for many reasons. The most prevalent reason for such errors is clinical laboratory errors.
- How long do you need to be clean to pass a urine drug test?
Often, when people step into our facility, their biggest fear is whether they’ve stayed clean long enough to not trigger positive results in their drug tests. If you’ve been billed for a urine test, we recommend staying clean for at least 10 days before your test. This way, even the longest-lasting substance would have made it out of your body.
- Can ibuprofen cause you to fail a drug test?
Although often prescribed over the counter, ibuprofen can still trigger a positive drug test. It contains certain ingredients that can interrupt test results by their mere interference with the enzymes being tested.
In the end, you don’t have to be scared about drug tests, especially if you’re clean. However, we understand your concern and the negative impacts of failing your drug test. Unfortunately, there’s no single solution that fits all test methods and scenarios. That’s why it makes sense to understand the different testing methods and how each of them works.
No at-home drug test is 100% correct. While they are often considered an alternative to going to the lab in person, they are not always as accurate as lab tests.
However, if you can’t stay away from drugs, a few options can help you glide through your drug test. One popular option is the use of detox kits. These products effectively detoxify toxins from the body before a blood test. We’ve covered other options extensively in this article. Hopefully, it helps you pass your drug test. If you have any questions or further concerns, don’t hesitate to talk to a health professional.